One day in Lucerne
At home in Lucerne: Patrick Wermelinger
Patrick set out to see the world at a young age – but he always returned to his hometown of Lucerne. “I think the reason for this is that the people and the atmosphere make me feel at home,” he says. “I am proud to be a Luzerner. The people are at once open and grounded. That is something special!” What he values most about the city itself is its variety, an aspect which he contributes to in his role as Promotions & Marketing Manager of Business Development Lucerne. For the past eight years, the team have been devising sustainable initiatives to encourage businesses to move to Lucerne, as well as supporting established firms and their employees. This will help make Lucerne an even more exciting place to live and work for generations to come.
Patrick shares his perfect day in Lucerne:
- 08:00: Café de Ville – Start your day off in style in a stately spot that would be at home in Vienna or Paris. Golden croissants to be enjoyed over a panorama of Lake Lucerne. “Creative and business people meet here. It is a special place in which to begin the day,” says Patrick.
- 10:30: Goldgruber Luzern – Those looking for big names and brands go shopping in the Old Town. Many local artists and designers have opened boutiques in the area known as ‘Neustadt’ – such as goldsmith Urs Gruber, whose unique creations inspired by styles from the 1950s and 60s are made lovingly by hand.
- 12:00: Seebistro Luz – The name says it all. The delicate fin-de-siecle structure on Lake Lucerne has been home to a bistro since 2009. It is warm and light and loved by locals and tourists alike. Patrick’s recommendation from the seasonal menu? “The Flammkuchen”.
- 19:00: Restaurant Olivo – The city’s businesspeople love to dine at Restaurant Olivo (15 Gault Millau Points) on the first floor of the Grand Casino. Close by is the less dignified but therefore livelier Bruchquartier. According to Patrick, the Cabañas here is “the best tapas bar in Lucerne.”
- 21:30: Lounge & Bar suite – Below the Lounge & Bar suite’s roof terrace, the city sparkles in glittering light. Locals too enjoy the enchantment of their city seen from this vantage point. After treating yourself to a tipple, get home safely with the ‘Nachtstern’ night bus or check into Hotel Montana for its ‘Night Birds’ offer.
EWL offers free WLAN in the city centre.
My favourite APPs:
- App nach Luzern: Planet GmbH (for iPad)
- CITYGUIDE Luzern App: Cityguide AG
- City Guide Luzern App: Switzerland Tourism
Further information: Business Development Lucerne, www.luzern-business.ch
New in Lucerne : Laura Holmes
The central location, business-friendly atmosphere and high standard of living were all tick boxes for US aerospace manufacturer Pratt & Whitney when locating its new venture Pratt & Whitney Aero Engines International GmbH in Lucerne. Eighteen months ago, Managing Director Laura Holmes exchanged her homeland for the beautiful city on Lake Lucerne. “I read a lot about Switzerland and its culture before moving myself and my two children here. I am happy that the people are so open and nice. Lucerne itself is beautiful. It has all the advantages of a big city, but is just as friendly and personal as my small hometown in the USA. My children and I love the culture, enjoy meeting new people and get outdoors a lot – I have even been paragliding. Everything is so close together in Lucerne that I am often out and about without the car. In the USA, we use our cars almost all the time. All in all, it is very easy to feel at home here.”
Laura shares her perfect day in Lucerne:
- 09:00: Lake Lucerne – I live close to the Casino, so my perfect morning starts with a fresh croissant and a walk along the lake with my two daughters. They enjoy playing in the lido or at the Museum of Transport, while I drink tea and read the paper.
- 10:00: Local treasures – On Saturday mornings, there is a wonderful weekly market on Rathausquai, which sells fresh regional and international specialities. I love fresh Swiss bread! For lunch, I recommend the restaurants Aqua and Grottino 1313.
- 13:30: Active outdoors – During the winter, my daughters and I go skiing as often as we can, to nearby resorts like Engelberg. In the summer, we spend a lot of time swimming. Because I come from New England, I love water and enjoy swimming or travelling by steamboat.
- 18:30: Dressed for the occasion – If, like me, you enjoy Italian food, you must try the tiramisu in Restaurant La Cucina – it is fantastic! I often eat there, and also find the service very good. For a dinner with friends or visitors from abroad, I can recommend the restaurants Taube and Old Swiss House.
- 20:00: Evening entertainment – After work, it is easy to relax over an apéro in Pacifico or a drink in the Shamrock Pub. My daughters are fans of ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ and when the show was on at KKL we spent a lot of evenings there!
The Jazz evenings in Hotel Montana with its wonderful view, or ice skating on Friday and Saturday evenings in the Swisslife Arena.
Further Information: Pratt & Whitney, www.pw.utc.com